TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. (WSAV) — According to Tybee Island Mayor Jason Buelterman, no one is allowed on or off the island until the Bull River Bridge and Lazaretto Creek Bridge have been inspected. He is hoping those inspections will begin Tuesday. He said bridges will not be opened by order of the Georgia Department of Transportation until their officials inspect those bridges.
The mayor also reports that Tybee’s 911 system is not functioning, so all emergency calls are going to the county-wide 911 Center.
If you are in the Island and have a non-emergency situation, call 912-786-4573. Do not call the Police at 912-786-5600 as the line is down at this time.
He hopes to share another update Tuesday at 9 a.m.
Here’s what we know right now:
- Tybee Island not accessible right now
- Mayor flew in on helicopter to check out conditions yesterday (posted on fb page)
- Some remain without power, but they’re working to get power restored
- Bull River Bridge & Lazaretto Creek Bridge are closed
- Bridges are set to be inspected today by Ga. DOT, but won’t open before then
- 911 system not working, all calls going to county-wide 911 center
- If you have a non-emergency situation, please call 912-786-4573
- A lot of flooding on the island, more than Matthew
- Will update again at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday