At least 80 dead, 350 injured in Kabul suicide car bombing

Damaged cars are seen after a blast in Kabul, Afghanistan May 31, 2017. (OMAR SOBHANI)

KABUL, Afghanistan (CBSN) — A massive explosion rocked a highly secure diplomatic area of Kabul Wednesday morning, killing dozens and sending a huge plume of smoke over the Afghan capital in one of the worst attacks Kabul has seen since the drawdown of foreign forces at the end of 2014.

Afghanistan’s Health Ministry told CBS News that the blast left more than 80 dead and 350 wounded, and that most of the casualties were civilians, including women and children.

The U.S.-led NATO coalition, Operation Resolute Support, says in a statement the bombing happened near its headquarters and the German Embassy. It says, “Afghan security forces prevented the VBIED from gaining entry to the Green Zone, but the explosion caused civilian casualties in the vicinity.”

“The attack demonstrates a complete disregard for civilians and reveals the barbaric nature of the enemy faced by the Afghan people,” the statement continues. “It also highlights the hypocrisy of the enemy who claim that they only target Afghan Security Forces and Foreign forces, yet continue to cause death and suffering amongst innocent Afghans.”

Afghan officials inspect outside the German embassy after a blast in Kabul, Afghanistan May 31, 2017. (MOHAMMAD ISMAIL)

The German Foreign Ministry says German embassy workers were wounded in the blast, and that an Afghan security official who had been protecting the building was killed.

The Taliban on Wednesday denied involvement in the bombing. Both the Taliban and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have staged large-scale attacks in the Afghan capital in the past.

The explosion occurred at the peak of Kabul’s rush hour when roads are packed with work-time commuters.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul warned American citizens to avoid the area of the blast and cancelled all its appointments for routine American Citizen Services for the day.

Damaged cars are seen after a blast at the site of the incident in Kabul, Afghanistan May 31, 2017. (OMAR SOBHANI)

The office of the President of Afghanistan condemns the “cowardly attack in the holy Month of Ramadan targeting innocent civilians in their daily life.”

U.S. Embassy Kabul Special Charge d’Affaires Hugo Llorens put out a statement saying, “This horrific and shameful attack demonstrates these terrorists’ complete disregard for human life and their nihilistic opposition to the dream of a peaceful future for Afghanistan. The terrorists, and those who provide them support in any form, deserve the utter scorn of all civilized people around the world.”

The Green Zone neighborhood is considered Kabul’s safest area, with foreign embassies, press bureaus, and government offices protected by dozens of 10-foot-high blast walls and guarded by police and national security forces.

The BBC says one of their staff, driver Mohammed Nazir, had been killed in the attack and that four BBC journalists had been injured.

“This is a devastating loss to the BBC and to Mohammed Nazir’s friends and family,” the BBC’s statement reads.

Jessica Donati, a reporter for the Wall Street Journal, says on Twitter that glass windows in her paper’s bureau were shattered. Afghan TV news channel, Tolo TV, says one of their journalists was killed in the blast.

Shortly after the explosion, all roads in Wazir Akbar Khan were blocked off by Afghan security forces and helicopters were deployed over the neighborhood.

Smoke rises from the site of a blast in Kabul, Afghanistan on May 31, 2017. (REUTERS)

Najib Danish, deputy spokesperson for the Interior Ministry, says the blast was so heavy more than 50 vehicles were either destroyed or damaged at the site of the attack. “We don’t know at this moment what was the target of the attack, but most of the casualties are civilians,” says Danish.

Windows were shattered in shops, restaurants and other buildings up to a half mile from the blast site.

Last month, the Afghan Taliban announced the beginning of their spring offensive, promising to build their political base in the country while focusing military assaults on the international coalition and Afghan security forces.

U.S. and Afghan forces have been battling the Taliban insurgency for more than 15 years. The United States now has more than 8,000 troops in Afghanistan, training local forces and conducting counterterrorism operations. In the past year, they have largely concentrated on thwarting a surge of attacks by the Taliban, who have captured key districts, such as Helmand province, which U.S. and British troops had fought bitterly to return to the government.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s