National Park Service staff steps up campaign against Trump

(Bethany Clarke/Getty Images via CBS Pittsburgh)

WASHINGTON D.C. (AP) — The National Park Service employees’ Twitter campaign against President Donald Trump spread to other parks Wednesday with more tweets on climate change on official social media accounts.

Someone in the National Park Service office in downtown San Francisco was being blamed Wednesday for tweeting against the White House’s stance on climate change.

The White House press secretary says someone in the office somehow got their hands on the Badlands National Park account to send out the offending tweets.

(KPIX)
(KPIX)

A day after those three climate-related tweets sent out by Badlands National Park were deleted, other park accounts have sent out tweets that appear to defy Trump.

One, by Redwoods National Park in California, notes that redwood groves are nature’s No. 1 carbon sink, which capture greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming.

“More redwoods would mean less #climatechange,” the park said in a tweet.

Golden Gate National Park in California said in a tweet that 2016 was the hottest year on record for the third year in a row. The tweet directed readers to a report by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, also known as NOAA.

Trump has called climate change a hoax, and many readers saw the climate-related tweets as a message of defiance to the new president.

Other park accounts got swept up in the conversation.

Death Valley National Park tweeted photos of Japanese Americans interned there during World War II, a message that some saw as objecting to Trump’s pledge to ban Muslims from entering the country and a proposal to restrict the flow of refugees to the United States.

Park spokeswoman Abby Wines says the posts were not intended to be political criticism, and the woman responsible had been in tears earlier in the day because of the attention. “This is a topic we’ve done tweets on before,” she says. “We’ve been doing ranger talks on this topic since 2012. This is part of Death Valley Park’s history.”

No one from the Trump administration has complained or asked them to remove the posts, she says.

Tom Crosson, the chief spokesman for the park service, declines to comment on any of the tweets sent out by park service accounts, but he says there is no restriction on agency use of Twitter or other social media.

“There’s no gag order on national parks that would prevent people from tweeting,” he says in a phone interview Wednesday.

The South Dakota park posted tweets Tuesday that accurately quoted climate science data, including the current record-setting high concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

The park service says in a statement several tweets on the Badlands account were posted by a former employee who was not authorized to use the account. “The park was not told to remove the tweets but chose to do so when they realized that their account had been compromised,” the statement says.

Social media managers for the park service “are encouraged to continue the use of Twitter to post information relating to public safety and park information, with the exception of content related to national policy issues,” the statement says.

The Badlands tweets were shared thousands of times, and the Democratic National Committee circulated the message by email with the subject line “Resist.”

Greenpeace protesters unveil a 'RESIST' banner sending a message to President Donald trump. (Nexstar Media)
Greenpeace protesters unveil a ‘RESIST’ banner sending a message to President Donald trump. (Nexstar Media)

That message — resist — was featured on massive banner unfurled atop a 270-foot construction crane blocks from the White House. A spokesman for the environmental group Greenpeace said protesters who climbed the crane to place the banner are encouraging resistance to Trump and his agenda, including executive orders signed Tuesday to boost the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, both of which were blocked by President Barack Obama.

The tweets by the park service accounts came after the Interior Department briefly suspended park service accounts and others run by Interior in response to photos retweeted by the park service during Trump’s inauguration.

The photos contrasted turnout at Friday’s inauguration with previous ceremonies. Trump has claimed without evidence that turnout at his event was larger than reported by news media.

The Interior accounts were reactivated the next day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s