Investigators confirm details in deadly shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int’l Airport


3:30 P.M. — Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirms details about Friday afternoon’s shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

At a press conference, Israel says suspect 26-year-old Esteban Santiago was a passenger on an Air Canada flight and had a firearm in his checked luggage. The sheriff confirms Santiago retrieved his bag from the baggage claim area in the airport’s Terminal 2 before going into the bathroom to load bullets.

Israel says the suspect was taken into custody shorty after the shooting started by a Broward County deputy. He was not injured and is currently being interrogated at an undisclosed location.

Investigators say the suspect was found with a military ID, but have not confirmed if it was Santiago’s or if it belonged to someone else. Santiago did have a concealed carry permit.

Israel says the attack is not considered an act of international terrorism. Five people died and at least eight more are in local hospitals following the shooting.

A motive is still unconfirmed.

2:55 P.M. — CBS News confirms investigators identify 26-year-old Esteban Santiago as the suspected shooter in custody five deaths and several injuries at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport Friday afternoon.

Law enforcement adds Santiago was born in New Jersey and had a military ID.

An active search is in progress after the Broward County Sheriff’s Office received reports of additional shots fired on airport property.

Details are limited at this time.


MIAMI, Fla. — An investigation is underway at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport after several people were shot Friday afternoon.

The Broward County Sheriff’s Office confirms five people are dead and a minimum eight people were injured when a gunman opened fire near a baggage claim area shortly after 1 p.m.

They also say a suspect is in custody. Police say they believe the suspect was acting alone.

A correspondent with CBS News confirms the FBI does not consider this a terror attack at this time.

A CBS live chopper was on the scene at 2:45 p.m. where travelers were seen evacuating onto the tarmac near the Delta Airlines terminal.

Airport representatives say all services are temporarily suspended and everyone escorted outside will have to wait until a full investigation can take place. They will have the opportunity to be re-screened by security.

This is a developing story. Stay with WRBL News 3 for updates.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s