School is out… but childhood hunger is not. Without the promise of school lunches, poverty stricken children spend the summer months wondering when they will be able to eat again.
According to the Georgia Food Bank Association, 1 in 4 children in Georgia live in food insecure households. Alabama food banks say the state has the second highest food hardship rate in the nation (roughly 25% of the population).
WRBL News 3 is proud to announce another year for our Kids Summer Cupboard food drives to end child hunger in the Chattahoochee Valley. Help the WRBL team bring good food and full stomachs to our kids in need.
This year the News 3 team, partnered with Georgia Military College, will host a total of seven food drives throughout the month of June — twice each week — with all donations benefiting local food banks.
Donation items can include canned goods, dry cereal, and other non-perishable items.
All food drives run from 11:30a – 6:30p ET:
- Monday, 6/5 — Georgia Military College – 7300 Blackmon Road, Columbus
- Wednesday, 6/7 — Subway – at Cross Country Plaza, Columbus
- Monday, 6/12 — Daniel Appliance – 5929 Veterans Pkwy, Columbus
- Wednesday, 6/14 — Subway – Bradley Park Drive, Columbus
- Wednesday, 6/21 — Subway – Columbus Park Crossing, Columbus
- Friday, 6/23 — Kroger – 300 North Dean Road, Auburn
- Friday, 6/30 – Full Moon BBQ — 2494 Enterprise Drive, Opelika – Auburn University coaches, cheerleaders and Aubie are scheduled to be in attendance