Total Time – 15 minutes (Makes 8 Servings)
Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, garlic bread, and pumpkin pie for dessert. For a richer ragù: reduce heat to low in step 2 (do not add gnocchi). Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally; add gnocchi
during last 5–6 minutes of cook time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup prediced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup prediced bell peppers
- 1 lb mild Italian chicken (or pork) sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin (or apple) pie spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock (or broth)
- 16 oz gnocchi pasta
1. Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil, onions, and peppers in pan; cook 2 minutes. Meanwhile, remove
sausage casing by cutting almost in half lengthwise (butterfly); turn sausage over and peel casing away (wash hands).
2. Add sausage, both seasonings, red pepper, and salt; brown 3–4 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.
3. Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin, stock, and gnocchi, then cover; reduce heat to medium and simmer 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or
until hot and gnocchi are tender. Serve.
*NOTE: these spice blends are readily available during the fall months. Other times of the year, you can substitute with garam masala.
(per 1/8 recipe) 210kcal; FAT 4.5g; SAT FAT 1g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 970mg; CARB 29g; FIBER 3g;
SUGARS 4g; PROTEIN 15g; VIT A 80%; VIT C 15%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%