Fire officials say crews respond to as many as 1,400 cooking fires on Thanksgiving alone. With unattended cooking standing as the number one cause of house fires, News 3 has some tips to keep your holiday dinner safe and delicious:
- Always fry a turkey outdoors
- DO NOT put a fryer on a porch or in a garage
- Keep fryers away from the house and yard
- Drought conditions persist in the Southeast – be careful near dry grass!
- DO NOT overfill the cooking oil
- Frequently check your cooking temperature
In the case of a grease fire in your home, here are the steps to quickly and safely put it out:
- Turn off the heat source.
- NEVER put water on a grease fire! Water will make the oil splash and spread the flames.
- Try to limit the fire’s oxygen by covering it with a pot lid.
- Keep A LOT of baking soda handy, pouring this on the fire will extinguish its oxygen.
- As a last resort, use your home fire extinguisher.
If a fire ever gets out of control, immediately leave the area and call 911!