Prosecutor says “unreasonable force” used by officer in Philando Castile shooting

(Credit: CBS/Castile Family)
(Credit: CBS/Castile Family)

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The Latest on the investigation into the fatal shooting of a black man by a Minnesota police officer (all times local):

11:05 a.m.

A Minnesota prosecutor says the police officer who shot and killed a black motorist in suburban St. Paul in July had no good reason to use deadly force.

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced Wednesday that he is filing second-degree manslaughter charges against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez.

A still from the Facebook Live video Castile's girlfriend took during the shooting. (CBS News)
A still from the Facebook Live video Castile’s girlfriend took during the shooting. (CBS News)

Yanez shot and killed 32-year-old Philando Castile on July 6 during a traffic stop. The shooting’s aftermath was streamed live on Facebook by Castile’s girlfriend, who was in the car with him.

Choi says Castile had informed Yanez when the officer approached the car that he had a handgun. But Choi says evidence shows that Castile never removed or tried to remove the gun from his right pocket.

Choi says unreasonable fear on the part of a police officer cannot justify the use of deadly force.

___

10:40 a.m.

A Minnesota police officer has been charged with second-degree manslaughter in the killing of a black man in a St. Paul suburb.

Prosecutors announced the charge against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez on Wednesday.

Yanez fatally shot 32-year-old Philando Castile during a July 6 traffic stop in Falcon Heights. The shooting’s gruesome aftermath was streamed live on Facebook by Castile’s girlfriend, who was with him. She said Castile was shot while reaching for his ID after telling Yanez he had a gun permit and was armed.

Yanez is Latino. Castile was black.

Family members claim Castile was racially profiled. Yanez’s attorney has said the officer made the stop because Castile looked like a possible match for an armed robbery suspect, and Yanez reacted to the presence of a gun.

___

9:10 a.m.

Authorities are planning to provide an update about their investigation into the killing of a black man who was shot by a Minnesota police officer.

Prosecutors have been considering charges against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez. They are planning to provide an update Wednesday morning.

Yanez fatally shot 32-year-old Philando Castile during a July 6 traffic stop in the St. Paul suburb of Falcon Heights. The shooting’s gruesome aftermath was streamed live on Facebook by Castile’s girlfriend. She said Castile was shot while reaching for his ID after telling Yanez he had a gun permit and was armed.

The announcement comes a day after the one-year anniversary of another high-profile police killing in Minnesota. Jamar Clark was killed in Minneapolis last year. No charges were filed in that case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s