Family sues Amazon $30 million after hoverboard fire destroys home

hoverboard_house_fire

NASHVILLE, TN (CBS 46) — A Belle Meade family is suing Amazon for $30 million after their home burned down in January.

The cause was determined to be a hoverboard that caught fire inside the home.

Two children were trapped inside during the fire and had to jump into their father’s arms from the second floor.

“He literally dove out of the window as soon as there was a hole he could get through,” says homeowner Brian Fox. “Dove at me, grabbed me in a bear hug. I grabbed him in a bear hug and we went flying off the ladder from the second floor.”

The Fox family’s lawsuit claims Amazon was negligent and failed to warn their customers of the nine fires caused by that particular board. They also say the product was falsely represented on their website and did not contain an original Samsung advanced battery as advertised.

“We almost lost two of our children. Two of our children almost died because of a Christmas gift, because of a toy that we thought would bring joy to our son, and it almost took his life,” says homeowner Megan Fox.

The family is suing Amazon and not the manufacturer of the hoverboard because after several attempts, the lawsuit claims Amazon failed to provide the correct information on where the board came from.

The lawsuit claims the board is from a counterfeit company in China.

The Fox’s home was destroyed in the fire, but they were able to walk away with only minor injuries.

Click here to read the full lawsuit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s