North Carolina prosecutor asks state bureau to probe police shooting

Demonstrators sit on a street during a protest in Charlotte, North Carolina. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)
Demonstrators sit on a street during a protest in Charlotte, North Carolina. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The chief state prosecutor in Charlotte asks the State Bureau of Investigation to look into the shooting of a man killed by a police officer earlier this week.

District Attorney R. Andrew Murray says in a statement Thursday he was making the request for a state investigation at the request of the family of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott.

Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney says he plans to show video of the shooting to the slain man’s family, but the video won’t be immediately released to the public.

He also says during a news conference Thursday that the video does not definitively show Scott pointing a gun at anyone, though police maintain Scott refused commands to drop the weapon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s