AUSTIN (KXAN) — A mother was cited for leaving her children unattended in a hot car June 12 after a bystander called 911.
Police were notified around 3:56 p.m. that two children, a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old, were left in a car with the windows rolled up. The mother, Hoa Nguyen, was gone an estimated 20 minutes while she went into a Target near Lakeline Mall, leaving her car off.
The Austin Fire Department said the temperature was 94 degrees with a high heat index that felt like 100. The children were rescued from the hot car by firefighters before they were harmed.
Firefighters issued a reminder to parents to never leave their kids or pets in the car. Temperatures can swiftly rise in the Texas heat, which could prove deadly. Since the beginning of the year, 12 children have died from heat stroke after being left in cars.
A 3-month-old baby died in August 2015 when he was left in a parked car at a Southeast Austin Waffle House.