Faulty investigation, new evidence may free man convicted of murderer, prosecutor says

76-year-old Jack McCullough has maintained he is "not a murderer" even 55 years after he was convicted for 7-year-old Maria Ridulph's death. New evidence appearing to support McCullough's alibi could overturn his sentence. [CBS News]

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) — A 76-year-old former security guard serving a life sentence in the 1957 slaying of a 7-year-old Illinois girl could go free soon after a prosecutor found fault with the investigation and new evidence corroborated an alibi.

One of the oldest cases in the U.S. ever to go to trial will be back before a DeKalb County court Tuesday. Jack McCullough was convicted in 2012 for the death of 7-year-old Maria Ridulph 59 years after the death. Maria was abducted in Sycamore, Illinois where she was stabbed and choked to death.

A vintage photo of Maria Ridulph provided by her surviving brother. [CBS Chicago]
A vintage photo of Maria Ridulph provided by her surviving brother. [CBS Chicago]
DeKalb County State’s Attorney Richard Schmack says in a scathing filing last week that a review turned up serious missteps during the investigation and prosecution. He also says there was new evidence supporting a McCullough alibi.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s