During the month of December and around the holiday season, the city of Columbus and the Columbus Police Department want to remind people to stay safe.
They offer the following safety tips for enjoying the holidays:
- Never Drink and Drive. Always choose a designated Driver.
- Holiday season is also the season of break-ins. Keep your valuables out of sight, keep your car and house doors locked, turn your alarm systems on, keep your outdoor lights on and always remain alert.
- Share information with your neighbors and look out for each other. Be alert for their homes and properties when they are out of town.
- Make sure your holiday packages are delivered safely. If you’re not going to be home, send the package to your trusted friend or relative who will be home. Ask the delivery company to hold the item if you won’t be home. Request that your package is marked “signature required.”
- Remember to park your cars in bright, well-lit spaces. Do not park in a dark, secluded area.
- Have your car keys ready when getting into your vehicle. Make sure you also lock your car and pull the windows up when you park your vehicle.
- Don’t display presents or gifts where they can be seen from outside. Keep your valuables out of sight.
- Teach your kids to find security guards or store clerks if you get separated while shopping at malls and other crowded areas.
- Never attend events so –called “Party Houses”. If you attend an event at an unlicensed establishment, leave immediately if the crowd gets rowdy or unsettled. Never attend an event where there may be weapons, drugs and alcohol.
- Do not take weapons to an event where you will be drinking.
The city encourages everyone to share these tips with family, friends and neighbors.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact:
1. Chief Rick Boren (706) 225-4420
2. Sara Lim (706) 366-4408