Brady maintains his innocence, says cell phone controversy is ‘manufactured’

FILE - In this Jan. 22, 2015, file photo, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady speaks at a news conference about the NFL investigation into deflated footballs, in Foxborough, Mass. An NFL investigation has found that New England Patriots employees likely deflated footballs and that quarterback Tom Brady was "at least generally aware" of the rules violations. The 243-page report released Wednesday, May 6, 2015, said league investigators found no evidence that coach Bill Belichick and team management knew of the practice. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
FILE - In this Jan. 22, 2015, file photo, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady speaks at a news conference about the NFL investigation into deflated footballs, in Foxborough, Mass. An NFL investigation has found that New England Patriots employees likely deflated footballs and that quarterback Tom Brady was "at least generally aware" of the rules violations. The 243-page report released Wednesday, May 6, 2015, said league investigators found no evidence that coach Bill Belichick and team management knew of the practice. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (WWLP) –Tom Brady says he never texted or e-mailed anyone about football air pressure, and further says his lawyers made it clear that his cell phone was not going to be analyzed in the league’s investigation of the “Deflategate” scandal.

Brady released a statement on his official Facebook page Wednesday morning, one day after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell decided to uphold the four-game suspension against the New England Patriots quarterback. In Tuesday’s decision, the league cited the destruction of Brady’s personal cellphone just prior to his meeting with investigator Ted Wells.

Brady testified during his appeal hearing last month that it is his practice to have his personal cell phones and SIM cards destroyed when he decides to get a new phone, a point he reiterated in Wednesday’s statement.

“I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells’ investigation that failing to subject my cellphone to investigation would result in ANY discipline,” Brady wrote.

The QB says that he turned over pages of cell phone records and all of the e-mails that Wells had requested during the investigation, and even contacted his cell phone carrier to see if they could retrieve any or all of the text messages in his old phone.

“There is no ‘smoking gun’ and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact that they have zero evidence of wrongdoing,” Brady said.

“I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.”

The Wells report stated that Brady was likely at least “generally aware” that footballs used in this year’s AFC Championship game were deflated below the league-required level of pressure.

blog comments powered by Disqus